Blog Entries

The Brown Girl World: A Snarky Brown Girl's Story




Wednesday, August 05, 2009
A Snarky Brown Girl's Story: When Dance Becomes Personal
I [can't] help but be a little down when I realize that studying abroad this term means that I’ll be missing all the multicultural events at my university back in the US. Granted my university isn’t renowned for it’s ethnic or even socio-economic range, [but] it’s always exciting to see young people make the extra effort to share everything they know about their culture and heritage with others. However, I’m a bit saddened by the approach taken by some clubs at my university back home. Although I’m a member of the Hawaii and Guam clubs, I’m puzzled by the ways in which the club promotes the big cultural events. We have a Hawaii Club that puts on the annual luau while Guam Club waits around to hijack the decorations to put on Guam Night. I surely appreciate the efforts to share the cultural richness, and this is in no way an attempt to knock on what people work so hard to put on, but I’ve had a hard time wrapping my head around certain ideas regarding these particular cultural events on my campus.
I believe both clubs would see more success in their stated constitutions if they merged into one club. Read more here.

0 comments:

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved