Blog Entries

On the Roadside




Friday, September 30, 2011
Roadside on the island of Antigua / August 2011
This was supposed to be one of my Foodie Friday posts.  I remember getting this bright idea precisely when I snapped this photo on an Antiguan roadside that I was going to write about what this woman was making.  I was on my way to a helicopter ride and my super friendly taxi driver was telling me all kinds of interesting things about Antiguan traditions and I was taking feverish notes.  He slowed down, shouted something in patois, and then I asked for permission to snap the photo.  But now I can't find my notes and I have searched high and low for them.  I'm so frustrated I could cry, but I love this photo so much that I refuse to let it just sit. 
If my memory was better, I would be able to get all of this information off of the tip of my tongue, but I think I have too much stuff going on in my head so I. can't. remember. anything.  Not my taxi drivers name, the name of the traditional dish My Roadside Lady was making, or the name of a similar dish in South America that the helicopter representative told me about that his mother used to make.  Of course, I can't remember Helicopter Guy's name either.
So instead of letting this photo get moldy, I thought I would share it anyway.  It reminds me of so many West Indian women I've seen in my travels and in my life...both in paintings and on many a Caribbean roadside.  There is a radiant smile underneath that stoic look and it makes me smile knowing so. 
Now let me go look one more time for those doggone notes...

1 comments:

Aqueelah on: October 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM said...

I love this picture..it brings to mind the older ladies of the American South. The first thing that came to my mind was that the tradition is being passed down from elder to younger.

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved