Blog Entries

Back to Bim II




Sunday, February 17, 2013


I spent a few hours today researching condos in Bahia, Brazil for a 3-week trip I have coming up in early May, but to be honest, all I can focus on is my upcoming trip to Barbados in less than a month.  As I mentioned in last week's post, going back to Bim reminds me of a lot of things, but mostly of my grandmother Ivy whom I miss very much.  That's her above.  Isn't she a cutie?  (Yes, I'm biased.)


The last time I was in Barbados was in January 2011 with my husband and my mom.  (The picture above is of my bee-yoot-ee-ful mother circa 1970-something.)  The last time I was in Barbados with both my mom and my grandmother was when I was around 12.  Like most people who have lost someone they love, I wish my grandmother was here today (in body) so that I could show my adoration for her in the same way that she showed her adoration for me.  We could traipse around Barbados together, sit in the sea together, and just be together.  But since that is not to be, I'm happy that she is always here with me in spirit.  When I'm in Barbados chilling out at The Club Barbados this March, she'll be with me there too, sipping on a gin and tonic.


One of these days, I'd like to gather my entire Bajan-American family and go to Barbados for a roots reunion so that we're all there at the same time; particularly with my cousin Ivy, my grandmother's namesake and one of my uncle's two daughters.  That's her pretty face above.  I think it would be pretty meaningful to travel to Barbados with another beloved Ivy.  ;-)

Baby Ivy

Yours truly feeding Ivy on her first visit to California
My trip to Barbados is coming up soon.  Clearly, it's dredging up a lot of memories.  Thanks for reading.  I'm not sure why, but I'll share more later.


In Barbados getting my ski on...
outside the wake. ;-)
Personal Fun Fact:  The first time my mother ever saw me waterski was in Barbados.  Even though I was a water baby that went to camp on Catalina Island every summer, I don't think she really believed I could water ski until she saw it for herself.  She asked my uncle to get in the back of the boat and then stood on the shore with the rest of my family stunned and excited.  I water-skiied until I was about 30 years old (just a few years ago...LOL) and ended up with far better form than pictured. 



6 comments:

Aqueelah on: February 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM said...

Thanks for the nostalgia, Tracey. I love looking at old photos. Did you think your grandma that day at the seaside hut...truly felt a "presence".

Unknown on: February 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM said...

Aaaah. I remember what you're talking about, Aqueelah. I posted a photo on Facebook of me at Bathsheba a few years ago. That stone "hut" was in the sea and is actually a remnant of an old railway line. And yes, to answer your question, my grandmother's presence was there with me that day as were her parents, etc. But then again...she's always with me. :-) Thanks for remembering....

Aqueelah on: February 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM said...

I have a good memory lol...please repost the picture one day.

Mary on: February 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM said...

THOSE PICTURES ARE BREATHTAKING. THEY GIVE ME WARM FUZZY FEELINGS INSIDE... ESPECIALLY THE ONE OF YOUR BEAUTIFUL MOTHER!!!

Unknown on: February 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM said...

Thanks, Mary! You and I will be creating some warm fuzzy feelings of our own in Barcelona soon too. =D

A.L. on: February 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM said...

Is that her? Wow! I went to college with your cousin, Lady Ivy, in the DEEP, DEEP SOUTH ... Miss. State Univ. She's still a very pretty island girl, green-eyes and all. I hope she does get a chance to go "home" with you one day. Opportunity of a lifetime, I'm sure!

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved