Blog Entries

Forever Tango




Thursday, June 17, 2010
I can't help myself.  First flamenco from Spain, and now tango from Buenos Aires.  I'm hooked on dance.  Always have been.  Always will be. 
Tango dance and tango music originated in Buenos Aires, Argentina and ultimately spread to the rest of the world.  Known early on as tango criollo, today there are many tango dance styles, including Argentine Tango, Uruguayan Tango, Ballroom tango (American and International styles), Finnish tango and vintage tangos. What many consider to be the authentic tango is that closest to that originally danced in Argentina and Uruguay, though other types of tango have developed into mature dances in their own right.  In the early years of the 20th century, dancers and orchestras from Buenos Aires travelled to Europe, and the first European tango craze took place in Paris, soon followed by London, Berlin, and other capitals. Towards the end of 1913, tango hit New York in the USA, and Finland. [Source:  Wiki] 
I might be dating myself, but before there was Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance, and before Richard Gere danced the tango with Jennifer Lopez, before Antonio Banderas danced the tango in Take the Lead and before anyone ever thought up Le Tango de Roxanne from Moulin Rouge, there were (and still remain) ballroom competitions and exhibitions that I watched faithfully every week.  And as is the norm, I always imagine myself as one half of a dynamically passionate dancing duo creating drama with every move I make.  (Do not begrudge me my fantasies, thankyouverymuch.) 
My fantasies aside, and in spite of all of the beautiful tango I have witnessed, I am moved most by my favorite tango performer Carlos Gavito (1942-2005) and his partner and star of Forever TangoMarcela Duran.  I'll just let their steamy tango speak for itself.  Enjoy!  (For Carlos Gavito's biography, see Carlos Gavito Su Vida, Su Tango.)

1 comments:

Anonymous on: June 17, 2010 at 6:28 PM said...

BRAVO!!!!!

Judy

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved