Blog Entries

Heart of Haiti (Part IV) : 12 Days of Christmas




Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Holiday time is a lovely time of year, n'est-ce pas?  People gather for parties, they smile more, they're more charitable and of course, they give gifts to their loved ones.  I have always wished that this Holiday Spirit stayed around for the remaining 11 months of the year.  Imagine the vibe.
As an Ambassador for Heart of Haiti, I can't help but wonder about the vibe in Haiti this time of year.  With the botched elections, cholera epidemic and ongoing aftermath of the earthquake, I wonder how people keep their spirits up?  I know that when I'm anxious, I hum.  Nothing specific either.  I just hum.  I guess it calms me down.  Music really is soothing, isn't it?
In the spirt of helping Heart of Haiti through trade (and not aid) and in the spirit of the comfort music brings, I have changed the lyrics to the famous "Twelve Days of Christmas" song to reflect the gifts from the Heart of Haiti Collection at Macy's. You can find all twelve of these gifts of Christmas (and more) here and if you need to refresh your memory about the way the song goes, kindly click here for Natalie Cole's version of this holiday classic.
Oh.  And for those of you that are game, feel free to call OBG's toll-free number (866.979.BROWN), leave your name(s) and one email address and sing these lyrics (with your friends and family?) into the OBG voicemail.  The first 6 people to do so (between now and December 15) will win a soapstone heart from the Heart of Haiti Collection.  My treat.  =) 
 *Clearing my throat*

On the 1st day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
A heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 2nd day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
2 candle votives
and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 3rd day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
3 quilted pouches
2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 4th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
4 botanica trays
3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 5th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.


On the 6th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
6 sets of coasters
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.


On the 7th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
7 napkin rings 
6 sets of coasters,
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.


On the 8th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
8 Agwe mirrors
7 napkin rings, 6 sets of coasters
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 9th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
9 large fishies
8 Agwe mirrors, 7 napkin rings, 6 sets of coasters,
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 10th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
10 jewelry hangers
9 large fishies, 8 Agwe mirrors, 7 napkin rings, 6 sets of coasters,
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 11th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
11 coral hurricanes
10 jewelry hangers, 9 large fishies, 8 Agwe mirrors, 7 napkin rings, 6 sets of coasters,
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

On the 12th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me
12 Haitian houses
11 coral hurricanes, 10 jewelry hangers, 9 large fishies, 8 Agwe mirrors, 7 napkin rings, 6 sets of coasters,
5 gree-eeenn bowls
4 botanica trays, 3 quilted pouches, 2 candle votives, and a heart from the Heart of Haiti.

*Wild applause*  I know what I'll be humming (and buying) this holiday season.  How about you?

Click here to see more posts about the Heart of Haiti.

2 comments:

willa on: November 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM said...

Thank you thank you for the HEART you have for Heart of Haiti! Together we can totally make a huge difference in the lives of the brilliant Haitian artisans. Love and gratitude, Willa and the entire Heart of Haiti team in New York, Port-au-Prince and beyond!

Unknown on: December 3, 2010 at 10:10 AM said...

Ohhh, thank you Willa. *Big smile* It is the least that I can do. =)

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved