Blog Entries

OBG®'s Fashion Friday: When Culture Meets Fashion




Friday, March 16, 2012
Boom!
Kokon To Zai (KTZ)
KTZ is a collaboration between Koji Maruyama, Sasko Bezovski and Marjan Pejoski.
Origin: Koji is Japanese. Sasko and Majan are both from Macedonia.

Entitled Maasai Punk, this Collection was inspired by a Maasai girl named Koyati Sailoti (from Kenya) who moved to London in the 70′s and brought back lots of lovely trinkets and accessories given to her by her family that she used to wear in London teamed with leather jackets. The collection is a fusion of warrior meets dangerous street chic in a wild eclectic blend of Maasai ornaments with punk culture and digital prints.

***

We all know that culture and fashion often meet...and what a celebration when they do!  You probably have more than one article of clothing or accessory in your closet that speaks to this fusion, eh?  So without spending a bunch of time jibber jabbering about it, I thought it might be a fun idea to simply celebrate by posting some of my favorite finds on OBG®'s Fashion Friday Enjoy!  (And good luck picking a favorite!)



The name of Michael Kors' Spring 2012 Collection is "Afriluxe"and this dress definitely fits the bill. Something I could definitely see myself living in....until I saw the price tag. #ouch

More Michael Kors.  More Afriluxe.  More heart palpitations.

Navajo Maxi Dress (also comes in red) $250

If you hang out my Facebook page at all, you know I'm an Anya Ayoung-Chee fan (winner of Project Runway, Season 9 pictured above).  She actually designed my costume for Carnival in Trinidad this year (another story entirely). And while her creations on Project Runway tended to have more of an island feel, I love the American Indian inspiration in this dress and in her 2011 Collection.  I ordered her first (limited edition) offering above (in red) and...whispering...I'm still waiting for it.  Hoping it comes soon so I can tweet her a picture of me in it.  Well, she asked.  ;-)



American Brown Girl Designer Therez Fleetwood makes some of the most beautiful high quality culturally-inspired bridal ensembles I've ever seen.  I had a version of this two-piece beauty custom-made for my wedding twelve years ago (sans the headpiece) because it was beyond what I wanted to spend at the time and I wanted something in a lighter fabric (ended up being linen) for my island wedding in Barbados.

Marchesa Resort 2011
This Grecian-inspired gown is simple and stunning and no matter what you might think about Kim Kardashian, in my view this dress is Just Perfect.
Marchesa (pronounced Mar-Kessa) does it again (and again).
Marchesa Resort 2011
This little outfit for playtime is right up my tribal-loving alley.

Marchesa Resort 2011
Just. Darling.

Marchesa Resort 2011
Egyptian-inspired beauty.

Whether you think this is Egyptian-inspired or Grecian-inspired, it's definitely inspiring!
Designed by The Master Himself, Naeem Khan.
This is NOT your granny's kaftan!
This takes me straight to Morocco although kaftans can be found in Persia, West Africa, Russia, Southeast Asia, etc. Truly global.  Again, designed by my hero Naeem Khan.

Naeem, you're killing me.

The sari ensemble on the left is obviously from India, but the flower embellishment around the neckline is reminiscent of flamenco.  And then the picture next door SCREAMS flamenco to me (in an avant garde kinda way), but I suppose - as always - that fashion is open to interpretation.  What do you think?
By Indian designer Rohit Bal / Delhi Couture Week 2010

I adore that the Asian influence in this elegant kimono style jacket isn't dead-on-traditional yet it is so obviously Asian.  I think it's a winner.
Haider Ackermann, Spring/Summer 2011
Donna Karan Spring 2012 Collection
Donna goes tribal.

Donna Karan says that the inspiration for her Spring 2012 Collection was drawn from her frequent trips to Haiti. I can see that, although I would like to go to Haiti one day to see how I might be inspired myself.


Peter Pilotto Collection Spring/Summer 2012

"For designers Peter Pilotto and Christopher De Vos, [an] eye-opening journey led them through dense Indonesian rain forests and up to the dizzy volcanic heights of the Pacific Islands...."

Peter Pilotto Collection Spring/Summer 2012

 "The trip to Java refreshed our vision without us even having to really think about it," said De Vos backstage after [a] show. “Finding yourself in the middle of a jungle is pretty awe-inspiring.”

Peter Pilotto Collection Spring/Summer 2012

"Adjust your eye and you can almost see the view through the tropical leaves that were splashed over panels on a racer-back dress. "

This skirt looks like a wave.  Love it. 

Peter Pilotto Collection Spring/Summer 2012

"Oceanic themes were on the agenda for eveningwear....with an exaggerated peplum skirt and a train on one dress that was reminiscent of a mermaid’s tail...."

*Perk* Did someone say mermaid?!?!? (Personal fetish.)

I would use Global + Chic to describe this dress (called Maya) by Pyromaniac by mp™, another brilliant example of a subtle yet obvious leaning towards culture. Designed and handcrafted with passion [and] in the finest fabrics by Cameroon born designer Michele Pouani, she now has at least one new fan.  At least.

More global fusion from Pyromaniac by mp™.  Meet Callie.



Kokon To Zai (KTZ)
This sheer jacket is killer and the neck piece just takes me there.

Kokon To Zai (KTZ)
Loving the entire look.  I LOVE a high waisted skirt.

Kokon To Zai (KTZ)
This dress paired with these necklaces is a great look (casual or dressy).

Kokon To Zai (KTZ)
Sigh.


I have to go now.  I can't breathe.  Fashion does that to me.






On this lovely Friday in March, OBG®'s Fashion Friday celebrates where culture meets fashion. 

2 comments:

Fly Girl on: March 30, 2012 at 3:45 PM said...

Love this. I too looked at Ms. Fleetwood for my wedding dress but ended up getting one custom made in Nigeria the same week that they murdered Ken Saro Wiwa. But that's a whole other story, this post makes me lose my breath as well.

Anonymous on: July 29, 2012 at 9:37 AM said...

Oh my God the Fleetwood's white dress looks like the royal Karako dress: a traditional algerian dress. Inspiration is everywhere.

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved