Blog Entries

So Here's The Thing




Thursday, July 14, 2011
I'm home sick today.  I feel lousy too.  You can only sleep so many hours, so I figured I would blog.  Besides, it's been too long since I posted about something other than food.  Plus, I have something to say; short, sweet and to the point.
My blogging buddy Chantilly posed a question on her Multicultural Familia Facebook page less than an hour ago that got my panties in a bunch.  "Can Latinos claim mixed race?" she asked.  And then she suggested that followers read two articles about the subject.
The truth is, I didn't read the articles.  As quickly as my fingers would type, I simply responded with "People can claim anything they want, can't they?" 
Of course they can.
So here's the thing:  The fact that there might be some debate out in the Blogosphere about how I or anyone else chooses to self-identify is laughable as far as I'm concerned. If you self-identify a certain way and someone doesn't agree, why debate about it? Keep it moving and do your thing, right?
Sometimes I think people create more angst for themselves by arguing with people who will never ever see their point of view.  So why bother?  At the end of the day, what difference does it make about what someone else thinks about how I celebrate my own culture?  Answer:  None.
I never write about this kind of stuff because it irks me.  Reminds me of being bullied because I didn't fit some people's view of how I should be talking, acting, etc.  Gag me.  I'm an independent thinker and don't really care about what someone else might think about the way I get down.  I think some people just like to think they're the authority on how others should feel and think about themselves and want to dissect other people's preferences.  What kind of nonsense is that?
I'm outta here.  I need a nap.
Note:
  • With reference to the link to my Oprah's Angel Network bullying story above, I am not going to write a book about Namecalling. If you will pardon the pun, it's not my calling.
  • Click here for my first contribution to Multicultural Familia.  I'm not one to discuss and dissect issues of race; instead I prefer to celebrate culture.  But I will be throwing around my two cents every blue moon.  Probably when I don't feel well again.  Grrrrrrr.

2 comments:

Eileen Ludwig on: July 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM said...

Great inspirational article. Love your thought process. Came here from Jennifer's 7 links article

Unknown on: July 16, 2011 at 6:05 PM said...

Hello Eileen and thank you! I don't typically write when I'm irritated or irritable ... LOL ... but I feel strongly about everyone's right to make personal choices without having to DEFEND those choices. What a waste of precious time when we could be celebrating instead, eh?

 

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!

Looking For A Speaker to Chat With Your Youth Group About The World of Travel? Book Tracey today!
Please send inquiries to info@OneBrownGirl.com. Complimentary passport photos for all of the kids in your group! Photo: Paris, France (2012)

The Danger of a Single Story

It's a Carnival!

Just finished reading...

Just finished reading...
5 Stars!

Followers

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!

The Chit Chat is going down on Facebook!
1700+ OBG Advocates!

Travel Enthusiasts Use Social Media...

On the OBG Bookshelf

Blog Archive

Fortune Enough to Travel?

The Sweetest Trip Around The World...


Copyright © 2010 • Tracey Friley's OneBrownGirl.com® - Culture. Diversity. Humanity. Travel. • All rights reserved